Wednesday, January 31, 2007

A Reason to Write

A month ago I started a new job working inside the Massachusetts State House. At first, because of the office I now work in and the person I work for, I decided that it would be best to lay low for a little while. I have not posted on this website while I tried to decided whether or not it would be appropriate for me to continue to write on my blog. In the past month two things have happened that have helped me decide to continue writing.

The first was an email from someone I have never met. He contacted me through the website. He explained to me that he recently came out to his friends at college and even spoke on a panel promoting LGBTQ rights on campus. Something he wrote made me rethink my decision to stop posting. This is what he said:
"I LOVE YOUR WEB SITE. Thank you so much for being a voice for so many who will not, or cannot do it for themselves. I look forward to meeting you at a rally sometime soon."
The second event that happened was my first day of school. I am taking a class called "Sociology of Homosexuality" at Bunker Hill Community College. In this class we are discussing LGBT history and related issues. It reminded me that I am part of a movement. Anyone who speaks openly and advocates for change is part of a much larger movement.

Where would I be today if no one spoke up in the past? I do not believe that I have the right to remain silent today. There is still so much work to be done. So lets do it!

I will not be able to post very often, as my job and school do not permit me much free time. However, I will be doing my duty as an openly gay citizen. I will be an advocate for change. I will continue to speak up and I will use this forum to create dialog.

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed it is the only thing that ever has.” - Margaret Mead

4 Comments:

At 9:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back Chris!!! Nice to see you in action again.

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger Blue-Xela said...

Hey Chris,

Welcome back.

I took the "Sociology of Homosexuality" at BHCC with John Reeves in 2002. Is he still teaching it ... it's a great class, maybe it even warrants an article ... good mix of students, eh?

 
At 2:18 AM, Blogger John Hosty said...

Great to see you have decided to start blogging again Chris. Best wishes!

 
At 11:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Chris,
Just found you here and am glad to see you. Yes, you must continue to speak out. I've had people ask me how I can be this direct as a parent and my answer is that my son has done nothing to be ashamed of, so why shouldn't I be open and affirming to ALL my kids?

You take care,
Kathy (of Kathy & Lee fame :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home