Thursday, November 16, 2006

Transgender Day of Remembrance

Sunday night at 7pm Arlington Street Church will be holding the Transgender Day of Remembrance. QueerToday is promoting this event which was founded to remember those killed due to anti-transgender hatred or prejudice.

In Massachusetts, gays, lesbians, and bisexuals are protected
under the law. Trans people are not protected by the state's anti-discrimination laws.

Many of the leaders in the gay political movement have promised that once the anti-gay constitutional amendment was killed, they would focus on passing laws to protect trans people. Let's hold them to that promise.

3 Comments:

At 12:30 PM, Blogger Mark D. Snyder said...

I will be protesting romney's anti-gay rally. I can't ignore it especially after his vicious and deadly budget cuts. I understand your strategy for ignoring it, but I just can't. And I do not think it will make much difference on the national media stage if we show up or not.

The trans day of remembrance is for me the most important event of the year in our community. It is always emotional and life-changing. And so many amazing queer people attend. The event put on by the mass trans political coalition and others. Can't wait to see you there :)

 
At 2:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Chris, MassEquality just jumped on board for staging a counter-protest... don't you think we should be showing up letting legislators know that even though they've done their duty, we're going to still be there for them? I mean are we supposed to lie down when we should be protesting the far-right and empowering individuals in our movement every chance we get? I mean, the marriage equality debate isn't just about the marriage equality issue, its about so much more and shouldn't we be saying we're always going to be here?

 
At 5:39 PM, Blogger Chris Mason said...

It looks like the other LGBT bloggers and organizations are calling for a demonstration at Romney's rally. I have a feeling that MassResistance will be there as well, protesting Romney for allowing same-sex marriage. I think it would be best to ignore Romney, but I respect the feelings of others in the community who want to protest and I will stand in solidarity with them. I hope that MassResistance shows up with their anti-Romney signs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home